Director of Venue Operations
Terms of appointment – 2 Year Fixed Term Contract with possibility for extension
£70-75k – plus discretionary bonus
The QEII Centre is the largest dedicated conference and exhibition space in central London. The venue offers world- class facilities for high profile conferences, conventions, exhibitions and events, hosting over 400 national and international events. Our clients are central to everything we do and as such, continuous improvement of our customer service is vital.
The Centre is proud to have won 30 prestigious awards over the last 6 years, including in 2019; Gold at the London Venue Awards for Best Large Event Venue and Bronze for the Most Versatile. One of our employees won Rising Star at the Conference and Hospitality Show 2019 which highlights the learning opportunities available at the QEII for career development.
At the QEII Centre, we believe that our people are the key to our success and employees sit at the heart of our work, from our award-winning in-house caterers QEII Taste, through to our experienced AV and IT teams. Everything we do is underpinned by our Values and our dedication to putting clients first with the aim of achieving our vision – ‘To be acclaimed as London’s finest events venue with a global reputation for excellence, superb client partnership working and the delivery of successful, creative, professional and innovative events’
This is a unique and rare opportunity to join a highly dedicated team in a fast paced, thriving environment. So, if you’re passionate about delivering first class events and service excellence through empowering, inspirational leadership then we’d love to hear from you.
To oversee delivery of the customer experience for QEII clients by leading and directing all aspects of Event Delivery to ensure customer needs are met beyond expectation. The postholder has overall accountability for all Operational areas across the Centre which include Service Delivery, Relationship Management and Building Maintenance. As part of the Directorate team you will have significant input into shaping future business strategy. You’ll work with the CEO and Directors to revise the business plan, agreeing KPI’s and budgets, demonstrating strong leadership capability and role model behaviours aligned to our core values – Teamwork, Quality, Exceptional, Innovation and Integrity.
Main Areas of Responsibility
Customer and Service delivery
• Overseeing all aspects of event delivery including AV Production, ICT, Catering and all other associated event services, ensuring the Centre is presented to clients in accordance with our brand and quality standards.
• Proactively work with our partners to anticipate and address issues, leading and collaborating to ensure all teams are equipped to deliver the customer experience together as one.
• To ensure that customer complaints are dealt with/resolved in a prompt and professional manner, and personally handling complaints as and when required; taking necessary steps to apply lessons learned from feedback processes.
• Is accountable for effective management and monitoring of the MOJ/Keir and OCS Facilities Management Contract and Catering Services partners which include ensuring all operational aspects are met, value for money is provided and direct customer interface is accessible.
• Develop, maintain and evaluate customer feedback mechanisms to obtain customer insight, identify trends and ongoing needs. Seek out new ways to enhance the customer experience all the while considering efficiency and cost.
• Work in close collaboration with the Sales & Marketing Director to provide a holistic approach to customer service, systems, and processes, drive standards, and improve venue and event delivery.
• Maintain technical strategy to ensure the Centre can deliver all aspects of events to the high standards required to meet expectations and maintain the centres reputation for delivering outstanding customer service.
Leadership and Relationship Management
• To lead the event delivery management teams (including AV, ICT, Events, Catering Services and FM teams), to be high performing and motivated, consistently meeting or exceeding customer expectations.
• To coach and develop staff, particularly in the delivery of a ‘customer experience’ and ‘whole event’ approach.
• Active and effective membership of QEIIC Boards, Committees and Meetings, producing clear, concise and meaningful briefing/information and reports as required.
• To work closely with the Westminster Palace Renewal and Restoration project team to ensure smooth transition for clients and employees as and when a final decision is made on the Lords decant to the QEII which will not take place before January 2022.
Building, Security and Sustainability
• Overall accountability for building maintenance and improvements including all major project work.
• Maintain a safe environment for all clients and employees, ensuring that all activities, risk assessments and training is undertaken in accordance with Fire, Health, Safety and Environmental policies and procedures.
• Oversee the maintenance of physical and personal safety of all personnel and the management of all associated security equipment and systems.
• Management and implementation of any projects which impact upon the customer experience and building, continually striving to improve aesthetical presentation of facilities and services
• Responsible for the preparation and coordination of tender process for capital projects, ensuring all documentation is compliant and the annual Capital Investment plan is updated.
• Responsibility for managing budget and contributing to revenue targets and sustainability
• To act as Incident Controlling Officer (ICO) for Business continuity and evacuation plans.
The above is not exhaustive and other duties not outlined may form part of the employees’ job description.
• Expertise in customer experience and proven commercial record of developing customer facing strategies which drive customer tenure and revenue
• Recent examples of demonstrable leadership and relationship management of diverse and variable sub-contractors to ensure collaborative delivery of the overall customer experience.
• Exceptional attention to detail with an eye for presentation of facilities and services, utilising a range of customer insight techniques to continuously improve the offer and remain competitive
• Proven track record of leading, managing and developing diverse teams
• Experience of managing change
• Can provide evidenced based examples of strategic planning and delivery in a client facing scenario
• Ability to govern and oversee all aspects of H & S management and control within a large facility, evidencing examples of client and employee safeguarding
• Exceptional demonstrable interpersonal and client liaison skills
• Ability to write reports, business cases and board papers in a succinct and structured format
• Can confidently use and navigate all aspects of the Microsoft 365 suite, including Word, Excel, Teams and PowerPoint.
• Working together
• Seeing the Big Picture
• Delivering at Pace
• Managing a quality service
Information on the Civil Service Success Profiles framework, and how the relate to this role, can be found online, on the QEII Teams site, or from the HR Team.
•Membership of the Civil Service Pension Scheme
•Potential to earn circa 10% discretionary corporate and personal performance related bonus
•Access to learning and development tailored to your role
•25 days’ annual leave with an additional day per year to a maximum of 30 days
•A working culture which encourages inclusion and diversity
•Regular employment engagement activities
•Subsidised staff restaurant,
How to Apply
Candidates should apply by submitting their CV and a statement of suitability to firstname.lastname@example.org The statement of suitability should be no more than two sides of A4 and should set out how the candidate meets the criteria set out in the person specification.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 5th January 2020 at 23.55pm.
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths, Experience and Technical skills.
Applications will be sifted on candidates’ experience against the requirements of the role. Interviews will take place at the QEII Centre week commencing 13th January 2020
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles.
If you feel at any time your application has not been treated in accordance with the values in the Civil Service Code and/or you feel that recruitment has been conducted in such a way that conflicts with the Civil Service Commissioner’s Recruitment Principles, you may make a complaint, by contacting the HR Department email@example.com in the first instance.