The QEII Centre undertakes and promotes the highest standards of environmental practice to ensure it is operating as a socially responsible organisation both locally and globally. It recognises that protecting the environment is essential for the future and has a policy and event checklist that increases awareness of sustainability amongst staff, service providers, clients and the local community.
The Centre proactively evaluates and adapts its policies and practices and has acted across all areas of the business to become more sustainable. It has received the Silver award from Green Tourism and has been working closely with them on ways in which we can continue to deliver these improvements and innovations.
The following areas are key to the sustainability drive
Good food relies on good, fresh ingredients. Without them we would not be able to create our delicious meals. Ensuring we will continue to have access to good products in the future requires a commitment to sustainable practices and is something we take very seriously.
- Wherever possible using energy efficient catering equipment
- Reducing food waste by only buying what is needed
- Sourcing seasonal and local produce wherever possible
- Eliminating single use plastic throughout the Centre including straws, cups and bottles
- Resealable and recyclable aluminium cans have replaced plastic bottles
- We incorporate local seasonal produce into our menus, which minimises the overall food miles and ensures that we know the origin and route to market of all the products we use.
- We are certified by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), which means our seafood comes from fisheries that are committed to sustainable fishing practices.
- Coffee and tea are Fairtrade
- One Water mineral water, all the profits of which go to funding better access to clean water in Africa.
- Reducing waste through reusing and recycling
- Using biodegradable cleaning products
- All tissues and paper towels are made from recycled paper
- Smart taps reduce water consumption
- Reducing packaging where possible e.g. milk served in jugs and containers (eliminating usage of thousands of single use plastic items)
- Supporting local charities by providing donations of goods e.g. Wrap Up London
- All new fittings, furnishings and installations are as environmentally friendly and sustainable as possible
- Whenever feasible, procuring from local suppliers that provide environmentally friendly goods and services
- Monitoring of water and energy usage on an annual basis
- Motion sensitive lighting is used in the building
- LED lighting in place throughout the Centre
- Reduction of our Carbon footprint
- Bicycle racks available to staff in the garage and there is a Santander Cycle docking station opposite the Centre
- Visitors are encouraged to use public transport with directions to the nearest public transport and walking options provided on the website